Weddings Ceremonies

Sandy Smales Sunshine Coast Celebrant
Sandy Smales Sunshine Coast Celebrant
Sandy Smales Sunshine Coast Celebrant

Whether you’re having a chapel wedding, elopement, a themed vow renewal, backyard bbq or barefoot vows on the beach; arriving by Limo, Kombi or Harley, I’ll help you make this ‘your most special of days’.

I will compose a unique and personally written ceremony –  as every couple are just that – unique and individual. Everyone has a different story….  I look forward to hearing yours.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any queries.  If distance permits, we can organise an obligation-free interview/coffee chat.  If you live interstate or abroad, everything can be organised by phone, email and/or skype.

As your Marriage Celebrant, I offer you:

  • A friendly, approachable, and personable experience
  • A booklet with ceremony ideas, vows, readings and things to think about
  • A ceremony prepared and conducted to suit the occasion you want to create
  • Meetings and rehearsal time
  • Lodgement of paperwork to BDM (see below for paperwork links)
  • A PA system is used with iPod and USB connections for your ceremony music.
  • A gift bag containing a bound keepsake copy of your ceremony and presentation certificate.

Legal stuff

In Australia there are processes to follow in order to be married legally. Most people don’t know ‘How to get married’ unless they start investigating. Don’t worry; I can guide you through the procedure. Everyone who marries in Australia has to complete Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form.  This form needs to have your signatures witnessed by your Celebrant, a JP, Medical Doctor, Legal Practitioner or a Police Officer and be in your Celebrant’s hands a MINIMUM of 1 calendar month before your wedding date.

The NOIM form is valid for 18 months from the date of lodgement. You can lodge your Notice in person, via email or mail, but you must bring the original Notice with you when we meet.


If you complete the NOIM form OUTSIDE of AUSTRALIA, you can have your signatures witnessed by an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, or a Notary Public.

I will also need to sight ORIGINAL identification documents such as a Birth Certificate or Passport, plus a Drivers Licence or Proof of Age Card with Photo.

Can’t find your birth certificate?  A new one can be obtained at the Births Deaths & Marriages Registry Office in the State you were born. If you were born in a country outside Australia, and your identity documents are in a language other than English, you will need a certified translation of the documents.

If you have been married before, you need to show proof that you are no longer married.
If you are divorced, I need to see an original Divorce Document. If you can’t find it (or threw out!!), you can obtain a copy by following the instructions outlined on the Family Law Courts website.

If you have been widowed you will need the Death Certificate of your former spouse. This can be obtained from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in the state where the death was registered.

After the wedding

You just need to wait two weeks, and you can apply for a copy of your Official Marriage Certificate from Brisbane Registry of BDM.  This is the certificate that is needed as proof of marriage and changing your name.  They also have several keepsake and commemorative packages available..